Monday, March 7, 2011

ENT

On March 2nd I took Emma into the pediatrician for flu-like symptoms she had been having and upon checking her ears, the doctor informed me that she had yet another ear infection. Let me recap for you. In June 2010 she had an ear infection for over a month. After two rounds of 10 day oral antibiotics Emma's ears were still infected and the doctor prescribed Rocephin. The treatment entailed taking Emma to the pediatrician's office for three days straight and at each visit her being given two shots of Rocephin, one in each leg. After the third day and Emma's forlorn tear-stained face I was glad it was over. In September 2010, Emma contracted a bacterial infection at the same time she was diagnosed with another ear infection. Because the bacterial infection required surgey, I put the ear infection on the back burner. The ear infection did go away but only because of the strong anti-biotics she was prescribed because of the bacterial infection. Then at the end of December 2010, right before our family was leaving to go out of town for the Christmas holiday, I took Emma to the pediatrician and was told she had yet another ear infection. Instead of going through the hassel of the oral antibiotics, I opted for the Rocephin which entailed 3 straight days of shots for my baby girl. That pretty much brings you up to speed. This is Emma's fourth ear infection and we are on the second round of oral antibiotics. The pediatrician opted not to go with the Rocephin shots because it is a powerful drug and didn't want Emma's body to build up an immunity to it. So, now we are on day 16 of the oral antibiotics and on Friday, the pediatrician strongly recommended I contact an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist. The doctor gave me a referral and I called today to get Emma an appointment with the Dell Children's Ear Nose and Throat Center. There have been two children in Emma's daycare class that have had tubes inserted into their ears because of their multiple ear infections and both mothers praise the procedure. I am hopeful that Emma will bennefit from tubes and that she will no longer be inflicted with painful ear infections.

2 comments:

  1. We are in the same boat, Melinda. Gabe has an appointment with a Dell Children's ENT on the 18th. Poor kids. I am ready for the ear infections to leave us alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Emma. I hope the tubes help. My brother had them and did fine. I can't believe so many of the babies at school have such bad ear infections :(

    ReplyDelete