Monday, March 28, 2011

Oh Brother

This past week I had been browsing sewing blogs and came across toddler leg warmers and a ruffle skirt tutorial that I just knew I could handle. So, I got out my Brother sewing machine, went to Hobby Lobby for thread, and began my weekend sewing adventures. I have to give credit to Sew Much Ado and the great tutorials posted for without them I would have been so lost.
First the leg warmers. I went to Wal-Mart and found 3 pairs of socks for $4. The set came in grey, pink, and white. I thought great, a pink pair and a grey pair will go with almost anything she has and will not show the dirt like the white pair would. After a few false starts with threading the bobbin, I made two fine pairs of leg warmers which Emma did not mind wearing at all.




Next the ruffle skirt. I must confess the tutorial made it seem easier than it really was. In fact during this project my seam ripper and I became well acquainted. First I took an old shirt, which was a woman's large (from my pregnancy days) and I should have just used a small size for the skirt is very full. Then I cut strips from other shirts and ruffled them on the machine. I then sewed the ruffles on the main skirt and put an elastic waistband in. Ta-Da, a ruffle skirt that is too big for Emma right now, but may be ready to wear by the summer.


3 comments:

  1. Very cool! I wish I was crafty... but I can't create anything with my hands (only my fingers... on a computer). Great job!

    ReplyDelete